Wednesday, August 1, 2012

About the homestead

What it looks like around here today:

Fridge pickles from our homegrown cucs and onions. I only had enough to make one small jar so we're saving it for a special meal. There's a lot of pride bottled up in there!

Ok, a bit gross looking in this context, but the hankering for a truffle occured last night and I happened to have both cream and a chocolate bar on hand so.....the humidity is not helping them set up, but I'm planning to stock up on some good chocolate, source some local cream, and start experimenting. It will be a struggle :)

The tomatoes have had a difficult year. While the green ones are plentiful, the minute they begin to change color the chipmunk/squirrel/rabbit/woodchuck gets them. I've only salvaged 6 or 7.

She loves to be outside if there's no restriction on her mess-making

Her prize find for the morning

It's a two-load sort of a day. It might get old in a few years, but I still love having my own washer and line. Such a feeling of contentment to look out on it.


She's in the background, but we're wearing lots of poneytails lately. In fact, she got her own hair ties yesterday and is very proud of them. #Vain! 

My pathetic pickling cucumbers. They're globular and miniscule.

I never really liked hostas but I'm fond of ours

The evening showers have been saving me the task of watering our plants

New blossoms on the pepper plants. The woodchuck will be pleased, they're his favorite

Just starting to make a mess

Our last cuc. I'm hoping more will come, but there are no further blossoms so we might be at the end of our very short season. Looks like I'll be finding a farmer's market soon if I want enough to pickle (which I very much do).

3 comments:

Nikki said...

How nice that you updated again. Your post made me hungry. Do you share recipes? If so I would love your pickle recipe. Those looked great. :) Henri looks like a cute little helper. Love her dirty hand picture too.

JG said...

I guess you should just make a general rule to post links to recipes with all your foodie posts. :) Your garden is doing so nicely! You should see my drought-stricken garden... it shriveled up and blew away! Ick. And Henri's right... she's super cute in a ponytail! :) And, in response to your comment, YES Ava is getting huge! She has always been big, but now that she's toddling around in the upright position she does seem so much bigger. And I'm super jealous that you get to go to field days! I hope you have an awesome "mommy-daughter time." I was just in heaven at the street fair with Sophia... it really is special for "just girls" to do something fun once in a while. I have a long-term goal of someday booking a VT visit that coincides with Field Days... such fond memories. :) Hope you girls have fun!

Nikki said...

When are you going to field days??? Just curious. If you comment me with your answer I won't publish but maybe we will see you there?