Monday, August 27, 2012

Happy Birthday, Allie!

Today is my dear sisters 28th birthday. Yesterday we met up with her in NH at a restaurant a fellow farmers marketer has started in a gorgeous old mill. Poppers at the Mill features handmade cured meats, mostly pork and duck, sourced locally and served alongside the most amazing curry ketchup you will ever dream of (well, the ketchup was really just for the hotdog and burger; I put it on everything else). It was a great chance to try stuff I'd always wanted to but not commit to a whole entree as we all shared a HUUUUUUUGE sampler platter and then tasted everyone elses order. I can report that we all loved the duck pate, cheese curds are amazing, I have eaten head cheese (and it tasted fine, just the idea of what I ate precludes a repeat), and I have a new culinary goal which is to make scotch eggs that remotely resemble the ones I devoured. After eating, we all (by "all", I mean Allie, Siena and many coworkers and their families) went to a beach. It was a rather small and seaweedy ones but the kids didn't care, nor did the adult that were in a swimming mood. H has become fearless in the water and was snatched, more than once, from out of a wave that had pulled her under, only to dash back in.
It was lovely to see Allie, nice to enjoy a kinda leisurely meal (H was horrid so Steve and I ate in shifts), and I hope she enjoyed her birthday celebration as much as we did. So what photographic treats from the trip do I have for you? The gorgeous old mill full of cute shops? The seaweed storm wall the kids made to protect their sand turtle? The old old old lady that swam better than all of us though she could barely walk? The birthday girl? Nope. I forgot to bring the camera, and then I never got out my phone. Fail. So, to make up for it, I took 147 of pretty much the same shot of Henri this morning while she frolicked on our bed. Happy Birthday, Allie :)
















H's fashion for the day; a tutu and dad's belt wrapped around twice, taking my shoes for a walk in her stroller 
Also, in a form of reverse birthdaying, Allie gave me some canning tools; be prepared for much awesomeness (in the true sense of the word) shortly.

4 comments:

Kelsea said...

Good grief--can a person get any cuter? Beautiful pictures! And the pigtails are ridiculously adorable.

JG said...

Haha... cuuuute! That girl just radiates personality! I hope I get to meet her for real someday! And thank you for your sweet comment about our family pics! Plus I enjoy knowing that I'm not the only one around here that gets sentimental when I'm looking at blogs :)

Meredith said...

Kelsea, thanks! Although she's pretty full of herself so she doesn't need the encouragement, lol.
Jen, I hope we do get to meet up with you! Sophia is just beautiful, and I can't wait to see the baby. I have to say I always liked seeing people's picts, but now with a babe of my own I totally stalk other family blogs. And get teary over them. And make Steve listen to a daily rundown, haha. I should probably spend more time studying....

Nikki said...

Love the pigtails. Happy birthday to Allie!!!