Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The vacation where I came back severly sleep-deprived

Let me start out by saying I had a wonderful time at home and cried all the way over the mountain pass when I had to leave. However, H has decided that she needs to nurse a few times a night starting around 3, and then be up for the day at 0530. I could have ignored her except she yells "hi!" and waves enthusiastically until I get her AND her crib was against my bed so she would grab my feet and tickle (who teaches her these things???). Anyway, no sleep. But it was worth it to just be home and sitting in grass and talking to my mom and sisters and watching Henri play in the pea gravel.

H talking to Gram
One of the main reasons we went when we did was to go to Field Days. In typical toddler fashion, H chose that to be the only day EVER she woke up from her nap out of sorts. She wasn't fussy, she just wasn't impressed (until the very end when we got to the sheep and baby chicks). I must say I was a bit disappointed as I expected her to be ecstatic about the tractors and want to climb all over them, but she barely glanced at them. Though in retrospect, she might not have known what they were as she thinks riding lawn mowers are "tractors" (more her size, I guess). I won't bore you with tons of pictures of the sheep and the tractors and the maple donuts (and shakes and cotton candy....) but here are a few:
Hot and out of sorts

Waiting for the hand mowing competition to start

Yup

The photographed guy made all of these over a hundred years ago


Aunt Meg gave her a piece of grass and she was very happy with it for a long time. Can you say city girl?

Spotted at the fair, and I want a pair!

You could easily discern the old-timers from those attempting to prove strength or speed. This gentleman had a smooth deliberate swing that was lulling to watch. The guy ahead of him (a Boston marathoner) hacked away and sped through it. At the end, I think their times were about the same and the OT's stubble was shorter, his hedgerow was neater, and he wasn't panting like the sprinter. Lots of lessons there....

H and the sheep had conversation

Watching the draft horses pull

No explanation needed...

Love Jersey's!

The chicks and roosters have been spotted

She was cooing over them

Making chick noises

You know you're small when a miniature horse seems big to you

After all that, the one tractor she wanted to ride? A golf cart someone was using to get around the fair. He nicely let her "drive". Yup, city girl.
And then we went home and went swimming. Henri completely surprised me by wanting to be taken out into the big pool and was fine with floating on her stomach (I kept my hand there to keep her face out of the water because she's not so good at the "no breathing in the chlorine" rule) and we started working on kicking. Makes me really wish we could be home all summer (and fall...) so she could swim every day. But we had to return to MA so I could write a paper and take an exam. And so that H could keep her 1 year appt...3 months late. She's now 18lb 15oz and 30" tall! Whew, getting huge :)

3 comments:

JG said...

Cuuuuute!!!! Henri will appreciate Field Days more when she's a bit older... hilarious that she was so entertained by a bit of grass! Ah, field days... you are so lucky you live close enough to enjoy that! Half the fun is mommy's nostalgia!

Meredith said...

It was wonderful to go, though I don't remember it being so small? And I'm turning into Papa; I could watch the old guys with their tools forever :)

Diane said...

I love her on the golf cart, she looks like a professional driver!