Thursday, January 1, 2015

Birthday Bash

Growing up, I never had to go to school on my birthday as it falls on vacation week. When I graduated and worked, I always took it off as well and enjoyed a day of freedom. Flash forward to 3+ years ago when I became a mom, and that all ended. The day was always sweetly marked, but the usual irritants of a "work day" remained. So this year I asked Steve to take off the morning, and he rose to the occasion by taking off the whole day. I purposed to do as I pleased, without worrying about inconveniencing anyone, and it was glorious. After the usual first nursing wake up of the morning I went back to sleep until almost 0830. And Henri made me breakfast in bed with her play food (she couldn't have been more excited if it was her own birthday; she was soooo sweet about making my day special!). We opened gifts and I was totally spoiled. Henri has been worrying about getting me a gift for the past month, and decided that I should have a golf set since we have so much fun whacking balls into the woods at my parents house. So she got me golf balls, and we'll have a good time with them this summer. If I can find them. Hudson claimed them pretty fast. I put Hud down for his nap then headed out, leaving a messy house, for coffee at Starbucks, an egg sandwich at Panera, and dress shopping for this weekend. Back home, we loaded up and headed to the mall so I could claim my gift from Steve, a new phone (yay, better pictures!) and treat the kids to Chik-fil-A. Dessert at Cheesecake Factory (the Godiva chocolate one, of course), then home for naps and playing with phone set up. I was going to head out to shop and have supper on my own but Allie and Siena surprised us with a visit. We had a great time chatting, and the kids had a blast showing off, and we decided to just order pizza. But then the kids went to bed and I still wanted to go out, so Steve and I ordered sushi and had a picnic in the car to eat it (don't worry, my brother-in-law is living with us for a bit, the kids were not abandoned!). I know this was tedious reading, but I want to remember it for next year because I can not emphasize enough how marvelously wonderful it was to flit about for the day without having to worry about carseats, or toileting others, or temper fits, or snacks, or doing dishes, or picking up, or anything. Thank you, Steve!
And here are the few, poorly composed shots I've taken since Tuesday:

Happy Birthday to meeeeeeee!

Books with Aunt Allie. And cooking with Siena (around the corner)

He loves the camera

Sushi!!! So delicious.

Pre-work singing with Sheffy. I'm sure he can't wait to get back to school, but it has been so nice to have him around. We're all going to be very sad come move-out day :/

And we were beyond honored to be little R's first (nonfamily) babysitters. It was actually rough as Hudson was having a bad day and R is off schedule, but by 8pm everyone was asleep (R in my arms) and Steve and I could take a breath. He's an adorable smoosh, and the kids had a great time playing with him again today when he came back over. Now to convince his folks to move back...
Another busy weekend coming up (just a reminder, Meg, you're getting married in less than 48 hours!!!) then we hit the post-holiday slump. I'm scheduling time to sit down with my new birthday pens and notepad and sketch out some intentions. I reviewed last years' and was 55% successful. Not too bad. I'll aim for 75% this year :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday to you. :) Looks like you had a nice birthday celebration. :)

Diane M said...

Happy Birthday Meredith!