Friday, June 15, 2012

Healthy Cookies

Really! They are! I can justify anything I'm eating, but these cookies have nothing bad (or at least terrible) for you ingredients. I'm going to post the recipe the way I made it; the original can be found here.  I wasn't expecting too much from them, so there are no shots of the process, just the final product. I only made six out of this but they'll make a good breakfast with a glass of milk. As for the fruit I used, well, it was all I had on hand. No doubt cherries and raisins (and chocolate chunks!) would make it even better.

Preheat oven to 350F
Put parchment paper on baking sheet

In a large bowl, mix:
1/2 C chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1 1/2 C oats
1 C Shredded coconut
1/4 C Almond Flour (same as almond meal, according to Siri)
1 C chopped dried fruit (I used prunes and ginger)
1tsp salt (I forgot this, but will certainly add next time)
1.5 tsp Cinnamon
0.5tsp Nutmeg (oooorrrr, just shake the spices in till it looks good. Not that I would ever bake like that, of course!)

In a small bowl mash together:
1 med ripe banana
1/4 C Coconut Oil
1 tsp Vanilla (or just splash some in)
1/2 Cish pureed winter squash (I didn't want to waste my bananas, and Henri no longer eats straight pureed veggies and I have a number of frozen portions of squash, and squash can be an egg substitute!)

Add to the dry bowl and stir well to combine. Put a cookie cutter on the sheet, spoon in the batter and press down, remove cutter. Like I said, I only made 6 large ones, but you can make as many as you'd like given the size of your cutters. I would imagine just rolling a ball of dough and flattening it would work fine too.
Anyway, pop in the oven and wait 20ish minutes. My oven runs cold, so I left them in 25 mins. Once the edges are brown, remove. Yum! Next up: Peanut Butter Chickpea Cookie Balls. What would we do without Pinterest??? (homework, probably....)

No comments: