Thursday, May 24, 2012

Settling

I know, another post?! I thought I'd show you a bit of the outside of our home. Last week my folks came down and unearthed some old beds. Mom wasn't sure about some of the stuff, and I can't identify anything, so we left some intact and probably pulled out lots of good things, but we'll give it a year and see what comes up. I'm too impatient for that, though, so I have been yielding to the lure of garden shops. As of today we have 5 tomato plants, 5 cucumber, 6 green peppers, and 3 pea vines. I'm out of sunny garden spots so that might have to be it for this season. I can report we have very rocky sandy soil with a large dose of shattered glass interspersed. Henri has been enjoying the mess she's able to make and unfortunately today made the discovery that fruit is separable from its plant. One less tomato for the harvest.
West side of the house. The original plants

This tomato is no more

Can't wait to make these into pickles!!!!

The garden Papa cleaned up for us

Backyard view while standing at the end of the drive. There's quite a bit over the hill as well

South side and new garden

My watering can! I'm not sure of our water yet so we've been doing bottled. I didn't want to waste the containers, and with a few nail holes it became the perfect gardening tool

Would I pick your tomatoes???? (Side note: Why, when I was loudly proclaiming a yard was a must when looking at houses did no one warn me of the sheer volume of dirt this would daily generate???)

OK, small explanation for this video. As I've mentioned, H has been having some separation problems. This extends to me facing the sink and not her while doing dishes. I discovered that if I gave her a task (specifically, cleaning) she stopped her meltdown immediately and was happily occupied. I'm sure this is setting her up for all kinds of OCD behavior in the future (Stressed? Clean a little more!) but for now it's saving my sanity. It's not really helping with the cleaning, though. We'll work on technique later.


This next week needs to be very homework focused. Huge paper to be completed started and an exam to take by Sunday. The living room is clear of boxes and I'd like to get the rest of the house in the same shape by the end of the holiday weekend (S's home so I might have a long list for him.....). Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I loved seeing your backyard pictures. That was really neat. :) Henri was so cute in the video helping clean. I love to give Faith a wet rag and let her help. She LOVES to help me and I can use the help.I think it is so neat that you are training to be a midwife. We have always loved ours.