Friday, May 11, 2012

Getting stuff done

There is something wonderful about waking up at 0400 knowing that you are on top of all your assignments (due date wise, at least), have no major projects looming for the weekend, and dinner has been soaking overnight so will be a cinch to throw together (heirloom bean soup from Allie's farmers market. Definitely something I want to grow as they look so gorgeous sitting in my red pot). Part of this (and last semesters) reduction in stress is attributable to me actually going by the schedule I set for myself at the beginning of the semester. All due due dates are written in, and then I make up due dates for myself a few days or week prior to the actual one, and then I schedule when I'll work on each assignment. That way if I want to goof off for a day there's no guilt or panic because what I have written doesn't usually have to get done for another week. The trick is to making myself forget that and go by my set schedule. Anyway, what I'm rambling to say is, I'm doing OK today so I think, other than textbook reading while H naps, we'll be spending the day outdoors. Not a cloud in the sky and there seems to be a breeze. Lovely!
Progress has been made on the house, though we really didn't go over at all this week. S and H stopped by yesterday to pick up mail and finish the closet. I need to hem (i.e take them to the dry cleaners and have them do it) and restring the curtains to face the right direction, but he did a fantastic job and was just what I wanted. This weekend is putting together the bathroom (double curtain rod, mirrored medicine chest, shelving and paper holder) and then we should be move-in ready enough for Saturday. I want all the tools out of my pantry so I can move over all the dishes and food this coming week. Allie is coming for a few days to help which will be fantastic. I'm planing to have all the clothes, food, dishes, bathroom stuff...in short, everything I can lift and fit in our car, over by Saturday. I appreciate all those that have volunteered to help, I just hate the thought of people touching my stuff, you know? (germs!!! lol).
So, this week. Hm....Ikea on Friday night (we resisted the baby Poang chair but barely), house and Craigslist find, church and Jess and Wade came over to see the house and celebrate with a delicious Indian supper (in other news, Dosa Factory is going in a few miles from our house. I anticipate most of my food budget will be spent there), Henri came down with a nasty rash on Monday (roseola...never noticed she had a fever but that might be because anytime she felt warm she was also wearing a fleece vest and hat and Uggs in the house...her favorite fashion accessories), H being a total pill for the weekend and Monday but back to her fun self by Tues evening, packing, homework, possible lead (or at least sympathy) on the whole preceptor thing at St. E's, educational dinner last night with a co-worker (yay for catching up! And D, since you read this, your haircut really is fabulous. I raved about it to S when I got home), lots of free stuff at Shaws for their 50K fan celebration (cheese, Ragu sauce, popsicles)...maybe Ogunquit today to let H play in the sand.
I'm going to attempt iphone picts again. If any of you have one, how do you get them to transfer over right side up???
Closet, before

Despite all the toys, a plastic bag remains her favorite

New linen closet! Fits without a millimeter to spare

Assembling kitchen and closet simultaneously. H had a wonderful time mixing and losing our parts for us

And now it stops flipping photos for me. Sorry. Closet going up

The pretty-much-finished product!

Soooooo tempting!

H's kitchen with all the dishes from Gram

She loves the oven mitt

Loves the cracker from Aunt Allie

park day yesterday before the rain
One quick warning: I have to conduct a survey of 30 women (and men, but mostly women) regarding their knowledge of midwives and birth centers. It will take 5 mins to complete with a 5-10 min spiel beforehand by yours truly (or I can forward you a quick video to watch). Expect blatant begging, but if you'd like to get a jump start on participating, please call or email me. Thanks!
Well, H is down for an early nap so I'm off to read about preterm labor, birth and other unwanted outcomes. Textbooks should be mandated to come spiral bound.

2 comments:

Jen Oliver said...

yeah, i saw the tiny poangs when we made an ikea run a few weeks ago...so much cuter than the adult version and yes, tempting! also, we have adedicated corner for a mini kitchen/art table for C when he's big enough (i.e., walking). CAN. NOT. WAIT.! Have fun <3

Nikki said...

That is an adorable little kitchen. I love your linen closet. I need a place like that. :) It looks like it is all going together really well.