Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sweater Revamp

Once upon a time I had a lovely purple wool sweater. It draped nicely (read: covered my stomach), had neck detailing and sleeves I couldn't decide if I liked or not. Regardless, it was well worn and loved. Then one sad day it went into the washing machine with an unidentified sharp object and when it emerged...purple sweater had given up the ghost. But it would be a travesty to waste all that gorgeous wool so I decided to create for Henri. Sewing is not my forte, sewing machines terrify me and I can't cut a straight line (two of those are directly my mother's fault, btw) but I figured the shirt was kaput anyway, so I started the hacking.  (Oh, apologies for the state of these picts. I uploaded then realized I hadn't edited them and just don't have the energy to do it. Sorry)

First, hack the arms off. Also the back of the sweater.

Attempt to measure an inseam while your daughter rips out the measuring tape and hides all your pens

A few steps didn't get photographed. That's because my hands were too sweaty with fear to hold the camera. Basically, borrow a very kind neighbor's machine, ask her to watch the baby, sew up 2 seams and then roll the waistband and add elastic. Also jump and experience extremely elevated heart rate when the baby escapes and sits on the treadle.

Fun detailing. The ribbing reaches to her knee and then puffs pantaloon-style

Little stinker refused to stand and pose

Too big. Argh. Will fit this fall, though. Anticipating growth! I meant to do that, really

Not quite drooping right

Back of the sweater including the hem. Also contrasting material. Note the hem is now the waistband. Tricky, eh?

Ta-da!!!

Didn't even try to get a photo of her in it as the antipathy towards posing has progressed since this morning and involves flopping and screaming. But it fits!

So there you have it.While they won't win any awards, it makes me happy that Henri has 2 new items. Especially since it was made from material I had laying around (material, I might add, that I'd originally gotten from Sister Thrift so this is like recycling the recycling). Stay tuned for some more sewing attempts; I did a quick internet browse last night and found some fabulous ideas to remake last year's summer stuff for this year for H. Yay!

4 comments:

sue said...

How creative you are ! This is so cute!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. Will be leaning on you once we have one of our own!

shannon said...

WOW! Great job..Do you use Pinterest? So many great ideas on there.

Kelsea said...

The skirt turned out great! And the pants look darling, even if they are a little droopy. :)