Thursday, May 31, 2018

May 2018

You've already gotten a glimpse of the main event of May (Ladies Tea) and once it was over I slipped into a blissful fog of "do-nothingness" that I need to snap out of soon because folks are starting to get sick of cold cereal for supper (not me, though. Cold cereal is the best!). So, here's a few other things we got done (also, very out of order for unknown reasons...)

Gram came for a visit on Memorial Day Weekend and we celebrated at Crane Beach and Woodman's for lunch 

David came too :)

Despite the air temps the water was actually pretty cold. Shocking, it being May in New England and all, but legit forgot and went swimming anyway. Once you're numb it's all the same.


Ok, back to the beginning of May. Went for a "hike" with friends and it was conveniently close to Kimballs

While solid in our choice to keep Hudson out of school one more year, next fall is going to be rough as all his friends start. I wasn't into playdates with Henri, but Hudson has a fantastic group of boys I'm really going to miss (and their caregivers/moms).

A little preview of coming camping attractions

Kentucky Derby! I dropped the ball on making hats and getting a correct menu together, so instead we sipped mint tea and cheered on our favorites. Who all came in close to last. 

Esme's first bumper sticker. From the hysterical show "Galavant" that, though they won't be allowed to watch until they're 18, I have the kids quoting.

Scootering has become a passionate pastime around here

Family date at Yogurt Beach

Friends brought me yellow flowers to inspire me during the long nights of sewing for the Tea

Handstand progress. Very slooooow handstand progress....

Mother's Day! A handmade vase and flower from Henri, a vase from Hudson, and sweet cards. And chocolate!

Battle Road Trail

She's getting pretty good on the two wheels

We seem to have eaten a large amount of ice cream this month. Went back to Kimball's for mothers day. 

The card Hudson made me; The big blob is me (huge vertical lines are his versions of eyes) and then the little rectangle with a smile and two arms is him when he was inside me. I'm loving how he got my belly shape right :D

How I spent most nights. Plugging along and catching up on almost every episode of "Stuff You Missed In History Class", my latest favorite podcast

Huge deal; Hudson is showering. I know, not earth-shaking, but after him being terrified of water on his head for two years, the sudden change to showers is awesome. Also very freeing.

Ironically the year I decide to ignore my garden and not plant a single thing is the year everything is doing fantastic. Even all my hens and chicks have doubled in size, and check out the rhubarb!

Pastor's wife's dad Klaus turned 80 and was over from Germany so we all got to celebrate and surprise him. He's an amazing and sweet man and I'm so glad we were able to participate in it. To throw off any suspicion he might harbor I baked a bunch of cakes and brownies and threw him a mini party after church on Wednesday (which made him tear up) so he was really thrown when we all jumped out at him the next night.  

So after a late night on Weds AND Thurs Hudson crawled back into bed with me on Friday and slept until 0930. Love that he likes to snuggle still.



Back to Crane Beach

Sunday after church we piled into Esme and headed to Alton Bay, NH. Exactly 100 miles. We expected disaster (or at least the entire frame falling apart) at any moment but she held together! And maintained a respectable 60mph.

Kids loved how much space they have back there, and how high we feel

We arrived....and then she died and wouldn't restart.

Steve bought a remote controlled speed boat which was very popular

Pinterest s'more idea; extra dark chocolate and marshmallow inside of an Oreo. Highly recommend.

Late night "ghost" stories

My view when I woke up. Definitely need to do something along the lines of a sleeping pad since the back of the seat (where I sleep) is super hard and bumpy, but everyone else has a nice foam mattress and slept well (in fact, Hudson slept until 9, totally unheard of at home). I love having all of us snuggled up so cozy and close.

The dandelions were impressive




Yet more ice cream....

Sabah has returned from Egypt and she brought me cups and Turkish coffee. Unfortunately the thrift stores let me down, so Amazon is sending me a cezve to enable proper preparation. The kids both love it and I see this becoming our summer afternoon ritual, though I'll have to go to Ikea and get the kids their own demitasse glasses so they don't ruin mine. 
And I think that's really it. Hudson and I made a quick trip to VT to meet up with Papa and retrieve our yearly order of maple syrup, Henri has just one week of school left, Steve is extending his runs to 5 miles/night, and the weather is currently perfect. June has a few big things scheduled, so looking forward to that!

No comments: