Friday, February 17, 2017

We live!

The cold of January finally seems to be over! Henri came home this week with another one, but hopefully the coming school break will be enough to nip it. There were a few odd days of excessive car-ness, but otherwise back to a normal week this week. Which felt great. Also not pictured, but somehow we've been at the library almost every day. Henri is really in to this series about fairies (so so so so sooooo stupid, I now totally get my mom's disparagement of the many formulaic series I used to be in to as a kid....) and we're going through at least a book a day. Hudson discovered Marvel and wow are there some ridiculous "superheroes" out there. Trying to steer him towards Norse and Greek mythology, at least he tolerates my playing of the Myths and Legends podcasts in the car.

We're back to taking (long) naps. Hurray! Unfortunately it's because he's up at the crack of dawn and thus ready for lunch by 10 and nap at 11...

Trying out the matcha fad. Put in a spinach and banana smoothie you can't taste it, the color is great, and it has enough caffeine I can skip my coffee without a headache. 

The sun is making its way back. Went for a long pleasant walk after school.

And then it snowed enough for school and work to be cancelled so Steve and Henri played "ice hockey".

...and she finished off my breakfast on me....

This was after I'd been driving 20 minutes. So cold the shifter was still iced up. 

Fridays call for afternoon coffees. 

The past two weeks she's gotten 100% on her spelling tests!

Legos are back in favor as the toy of choice

Slow progress on the knitting. It's gotten too bulky to easily take places so that's cut down on my knitting time. 

The library bookshelf is slowly becoming my green corner. 

More snow, more snow days.

Ok, prepare yourself: Did you know that you can take a biscuit from a can, punch a hole in it, fry it in veggie oil, and get the most amazing donut?!??????? Me either. Insane. And insanely easy (and cheap). Made glazed and cinnamon sugar. My sister made them maple glazed today and I'm going to have to try that next pronto. 

A little tablescaping for Valentines Day

Back to actually working out at the gym. And is typical, went out way too hard on the legs and have been lame the rest of the week. I've decided to just embrace my hatred of running and stick with the elliptical forever and ever. It's nice on my knees, and I get caught up on all my podcasts. 

In 3-15 years we might have an avocado tree!

Steve got me a rain jacket for Christmas but it wasn't my preferred color, so he returned it and found the right one. It came on Valentines. so it nicely covered both holidays :D

Oh this cake. It ended up not remotely resembling the recipe, but it was good. 3 layers of chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting and toffee bits between the layers, topped with caramel whipped cream and drizzled with salted caramel sauce and more toffee. 

Hud is moving up to the older class I think, so we tried it out today after his normal one. Then lunch at Saba's and no nap and he was asleep within minutes of bedtime. 

The new reading plan for Lent arrived! Yes, I could just read Isaiah from any one of the many Bibles we have lying about, but there's something so much more fun and inspiring about reading it from a visually gorgeous book.

No comments: