Thursday, February 23, 2017

And then we descended into illness again

Wowsers, it's been a year for us. I mean, we're certainly due, but it's been nice living a charmed life health-wise. Sunday after church Henri went to bed....and other than me making her get up to drink some water/change her clothes/lay on the couch instead, she didn't get up again until Tuesday evening. Poor kid was running a temp of 103 and achey and miserable. She didn't even want to read so you know it was bad. Yesterday she had spurts of energy, and then by the evening she was pretty back to normal. Fortunately she isn't missing school because it's vacation, unfortunately it's been a rotten vacation. We made up for it today by spending it completely outside (70 in February?! Lovely!). Because we've been housebound, there remains little to see around here.


Date night! The Y provided the babysitting and we partied hard. The sweater is a happy thrift find at only $1.47. 

...by partying, I mean of course tacos at the always amazing Taqueria El Amigo.  You can't go wrong in a cash-only, spanish-speaking only, seedy-part-of-town establishment. These are gooooooood. Man, now I want another. 

Absolutely gorgeous sunset

To work up an appetite we went sledding at Gore. Had the place to ourselves, except for the geese. 

Attempted a 2 ingredient slime

It was fun to play with, but not the true slime experience. Guess I'll need to buy borax after all. 

The sweater is done! I made it a daily "to-do" to knit at least two rows a day. And when you do that, suddenly projects get completed. The next day a pattern I'd ordered arrived and I am so excited to cast on. I'll be attempting cables for the first time...

Monday morning, before we realized how bad Hen really was, we dragged the kids to the park for some baseball with snow and a stick. 

Poor kid. She sat on the swing. 

Snails out of pipe cleaners and egg cartons for playgroup. Which we never had because of illness. Also not pictured but I made 60 sticky buns. Also for playgroup. And the number was excessive, but if you're going to make them you might as well make a quadruple batch. 

Lemonade made from leftover glaze for our muffins and blueberries to make it pink. 

Henri had a playdate with a classmate this morning, so Hud and I hung out at Home Depot. Actually, I wanted to hang, he just wanted to get our supplies. I love hardware stores. 

Lunch out! I might be coming around to loving this place. Especially since I discovered their Polynesian sauce...

Lots of thrifting going on in prep for the Ladies Tea. Shabby chic clocks and mirrors with pearls. I'm ridiculously excited about this one. It's going to be a lot more "girly" than what I usually do, but I think that's going to appeal to a large contingent, plus it means I can do a true Elevenses for the meal...

This is before I think he went swimming in mud. There is no other explanation for how unbelievably filthy he got. 

Childrens church craft for this week (String crosses for Easter decor. They'll color/paint the blocks first). Sanding down 16 blocks with a recalcitrant sander and then crookedly hammering...made me really miss being home and Papa's well stocked tool corner. In the background are some of the gorgeous frames I turned into antiqued mirrors with spray paint. I'm a pretty terrible painter, but it still delights me what a few bucks can do to an object. 
Hopefully the rest of us avoid Henri's germs and we can enjoy the last few days of vacation. We lived it up today and had ice cream for dinner. Who wants to cook on vacation?!

No comments: