Thursday, February 4, 2016

Why?!

Ah, the "why?" stage. Had somehow repressed the memory of that one. But it's hit, and hit hard, and my throat is raw from answering. Unfortunately Hudson doesn't talk much so his ability to carry on a conversation regarding the explanation is non-existent, and it's just a chant of "why"'s right now. Also, he's been pretty sick this week with a cold and coughing so whine factor out of control! I know that sounds like I'm whining, but it hasn't been all that bad. For one thing, our crazy "winter" continues with temps in the high 50's, so we've been outside a lot. And then yesterday it rained so we had a marathon of TV show watching and put our FireStick to good use. And *drumroll please* I think I weaned Hudson off his pacifiers. It's only been 2 days, but so far not a peep from him. He went to bed with one and started crying because sucking on them hurt his upper lip (raw from runny nose). So I totally blamed it on the pacies, asked if he wanted me to take them so they wouldn't hurt and he handed them over. I've got them hidden as a just in case, and it feels cruel to deprive him of comfort when he's ill, but other than nursing a lot more he hasn't seemed bothered. There's no way it could be this easy, but I'm enjoying the lack of drama right now.
We had a pretty laid back weekend with Sue in town. We walked around Fresh Pond, and then the guys took her to the Symphony on Saturday which meant I had the house to myself so I watched The Importance of Being Earnest. No idea how I've missed it up to this point, but very glad Anna recommended it as it was hilarious. Perfect "being on your own in a creaky house late at night" sort of a movie :) And then we went to our current favorite restaurant on Sunday night, a vegan place where I've yet to have a bad meal (and the kids adore their smoothies). Lots of running around on Monday, and then the cold has kept us housebound since. I finally went out with the kids today to Target to get ready for Valentines Day. Somehow it's become a big celebration in our house, with small items found in their personal mailboxes for the entire week leading up to the day, and a nice meal with lots of chocolate on the 14th. I've found 3 different chocolate truffle recipes I'll be making for Henri and I (coconut oil for the win!!!!), and a raw carrot cake truffle for Steve. It's a fun interlude in what is usually the dumps of winter.

Hudson got a little too excited about the flower and picked it. 

The remains of their snow fort



She was singing "Sisters" from White Christmas and using pine branches as the fan :)


She's very in to making her own headband/jewelry/clothing items

The kids are loving that everything is plant based so they can lick any mixing bowl or spatula now

Our dessert on Friday night. Raw chocolate cake. It was fudgey and chocolate and so so so so sooooooo good. Hudson was shoveling it in with both hands, and even Steve (who doesn't like chocolate) loved it. 


Sat we went to the nursery too. Just to see some greenery



They're such cool old brick houses

Tree climbing

As always, it doesn't do it justice, but there was a gorgeous sunset


He's been picking out his own outfits for a bit. Despite not knowing his colors, he manages to coordinate pretty well. And yes, that is a maple syrup jug in the recycling. Pure panic until I found one more hidden away in the pantry. Would be horrible to run out now with no more to come for months! 

Sick bug, sipping tea and honey and watching "Little Bear" 
My thrift store find! These are insanely heavy, very weird, poorly cast, and I'm in love. I have grand plans (don't I always) of creating a statue garden on the other side of the shed where nothing grows. Pea gravel paths, ornamental grass in pots, and statuary. Fountain in the middle. These are the first of the collection :) 

No comments: