Saturday, October 20, 2012

Quick update

For some reason photostream is being wonky so I can't show you my stuff from today, but I realize I left the last post in a rather bad mood. There was a lot of panic, stress, and many days of separation facing me then. Now? Well, I must say I'm having a blast. Being able to hold Henri and Steve would make it even better, of course, but I'm sort of loving having all this time to study, learn....and just hang out with new friends. It's very much a college feel with tight cliques having formed (I've been slumming with the NP's, haha), lots of laughing, study sessions conducted in our pj's, complete isolation from current events in the world, and mostly just the sense that we're all in this together and no one's going to let anyone else drown. There is another exam coming up I'm a bit apprehensive about only because I'd like to score high, but I think it'll be just fine. And we're getting in to the really good stuff now; suturing (cows tongues and foam blocks), pelvic exams (on each other; visualized my first cervix today! It looked like a picture in a textbook), birth simulations complete with lots of staining fluids, and SOAP notes (ok, I hate the last one, but you have to do them). I'm also racking up a decent charge on my card with all the apps I'm buying for practice and it'll get worse as tomorrow the librarian will be sharing a bunch of others to try.
I had a moment after Skyping with Henri tonight of wishing I was headed home sooner, but I'm sure the time will pass just as fast as it has been up to this point. And in the meantime, I'll continue to debate the merits of getting a wrist tattoo. A bunch of the girls went out tonight to get this image ( little squattier and a bit more rounded at top to make it look like a head) inked and I was very tempted but figured I'd scope out a reputable joint first. I'd do it in white, probably inside of left wrist; symbolic of what I'll be doing (and have worked so hard for) and also to celebrate Henri; if more kids come along, I could add initials or something. Anyway, Papa gave it his blessing (as in: "Joe gets a new one for every level he passes") and it would be my last chance, sort of (isn't this something you really only do in your 20's?). Anyway, I recognize that decisions made while under extreme stress in a group situation might not be the wisest, so I refrained. Tonight.
Sorry, I rambled again. I need to go type up a SOAP note, but wanted to reassure those that might be considering FNU; Clinical Bound really has been a great experience :)

No comments: