Thursday, October 18, 2012

Fried brains

No, this is not a cooking post with some exotic recipes. It's the state of me at this moment. For those that might not have picked up yet through my constant whining, I'm training to be a nurse-midwife (CNM). To this point I've been online for all of my classes and life has been grand. Now the physical stuff starts, and while I'm thrilled to finally be getting my hands dirty (literally: we've been told to wear scrubs we're OK with staining this whole week...), it's been a lot more work than I anticipated, getting everyone ready for this change. Because it's not just about me anymore. First we moved Henri to daycare. And the first week was great and the second was horrible. But she'll suck it up and life will move on for her. Then, I had to go to Hyden, KY for 8 days of training. This meant prepping a weeks worth of meals, laying out a weeks worth of clothes for Henri (with socks and shoe assignments!), typing out the menus and daily schedules and contact info and allergy info and doctors info and and and. Also the 80+hours of studying that needed to go in to preparing for the intensive week I'd be having, packing for myself, rounding up supplies, the panic of not having any banking information in my name.....So after getting up early (we learned from our last plane adventure), flying and then driving for almost 4 hours, I made it to school. And called Steve only to find out that H (and 2 other kids) had had a reaction to snack and that the fire department and ambulance had been there to check her out but he figured she was fine. AAAAAHHHH. Lets add in some more panic, guilt, and sleep deprivation (as my neighbors decided to chat until 1 and then get up at 6).
And then I discovered that the hours I'd spent memorizing systems in a certain order? Yeah, we're being tested in a completely different way. So I'll be up late tonight too as that check offs early in the morning. And there's tons more to complete, I'm just taking it minute by minute.
So, my apologies for not having a nice chatty update from home. I have a few picts from before I left, but mostly it's just been me staring at a sheet of paper trying to remember to check for light sensation to extremities BEFORE I move on to reflexes and that Cranial Nerve 7 includes symmetry of upward gaze as well as the funny faces. This is so much easier in clinic when you have a reason to be performing these exams and you don't have an examiner standing over you!

She's ready for breakfast!

Can you spot the goldfish? She's been stockpiling them behind the books then grabbing a snack when hungry

Fall Festival at school on Saturday. They had a bubble machine and H was in love

Lots of instruments for the kids to use

She was tickled by the piano but really loved the egg shakers

Tore through a whole package of sticky notes in a few moments

Where I'm stuck staying for the next week
I'm sure a decent nights sleep (and getting through this all) will help my outlook on life quite a bit. Until then, I envy Steve his time with Henri and can't wait to rejoin them!

No comments: