Saturday, December 31, 2016

NY Christmas and birthdays

Monday morning early we headed out to NY to visit Steve's family. Sue's 65th birthday was on Tuesday (Happy Birthday, again!!!) and we wanted to have the whole family together. The cousins hadn't seen each other since July and they had an awesome time. I didn't hear a single squabble, just the occasional call from Henri and Ella to Ava to "come do something with Hudson", haha. And she did! Ava totally entertained Hudson for the entire visit, Hen and Ella played together, it was really nice. We cooked a nice dinner on Tuesday, played lots of Ticket to Ride, vacuumed a zillion times (they're in the midst of a major renovation/addition project), sat and chatted....it was good. The weather forecast meant we stayed an extra day, so we traveled back on Friday which was my birthday, so I didn't get my long-awaited and dreamt-of day off. Maybe next year. Instead there were pastry treats from a good friend waiting for us on the doorstep, and after I grocery shopped Steve made me some scalloped potatoes. I heard from my whole family, Mom retold me the story of my birth, it was a nice day with family.
Many, many games of this. 

The trampoline is a huge hit. 

Lots and lots of play


Continuing in my tradition of making the most repulsive looking cakes ever. In my defense, there was a lot stacked against me for this one (dietary restrictions, unfamiliar kitchen, not the right equipment, not the right ingredients) but Henri declared it the best she'd ever had, and all the kids asked for seconds and then the leftovers the next day. So, not a total flop?

Childless uncles are the best

Ava read me the whole book!

Aunt Melanie showing Henri how to make potholders using the loom

Gram helping Ava sew a sock zebra

One of the walls coming down (like I said, major construction the whole time we were there)

Steve broke the trampoline. There was much mourning. The frame is completely rusted through, and it's been outside for 15 years, but still.....fortunately I got a text today that Paul was able to fix it. 

Speaking of destruction, we hadn't been there 2 hours when Hudson accidentally head-butted Ella in the mouth and split her lip. Sigh. I bet they were pretty happy to see us go. 

They're like a flock of birds; suddenly and without warning they change direction and go charging off to something new. Like I said, they kept themselves very entertained. 

Wednesday afternoon was pretty bad, noise-wise. We all piled into a tiny room where we could shut the door and try to block some of it out.

Even then, in tight spaces, the kids got along great.

At least all the toys were there! Made both Melanie and I rethink our desire to live in a tiny house though ;)

Ava reading to the rest

Isn't her handwriting gorgeous???? It's a collection of letters Steve's great-great-great grandma wrote to her son who was fighting in the Civil War that he saved and bound. And loose are a bunch he wrote to family. I'm going to try to match up the replies and get them all chronological. The way he writes when he hears about Lincoln's assassination; you feel gut-punched. It's so raw, disbelieving, disillusioned, shocked, angry. Brought on tears the first time I read it. The mom is just desperate to get him home, and throws in lots of information about home life that's straightforward and amusing (her views on a certain visiting child are hilarious). Anyway, a really fun primary document. I'm not into genealogies much, but I really want to know this guys story. Obviously he survived and made it home, and I know his family had a farm. Will have to do some snooping to get more backstory.


The kids made me a necklace and a bracelet and cards

Ava inspired Henri; she practiced long and hard last night so that this morning she was able to read me 2 chapters of The Golly Sisters Go West. She's made huge strides in her reading this vacation, I think having the pressure of school off has made it more enjoyable and thus she's done it. 

Put Christmas away today. Ahhhhh, so much better. I loved how it looked, but the crowding was stressing me out. Def going with a Charlie Brown tree next year, the big ones take up too much space. 

I got this for Steve for Christmas and we played a rousing two games of it this evening while he watched the Clemson game.
For the first time in years, I have made it (almost) to midnight and will be awake to greet 2017 as it arrives. Wishing you all a blessed and peaceful year! Thank you for reading my intermittent ramblings :)

No comments: