Tuesday, June 17, 2014

10 months

The last month has been one of big growth for Hudson. I know this is normal of this age, but it seems every time I turn around I'm confronted with the fact that he's a little boy now and not a baby. He knows exactly what you're saying (as evidenced by the fact that he can, if he wants to, get whatever object you've asked him to retrieve), knows the house rules (and chooses routinely to ignore them, all the while watching me to make sure I'm watching him flout them), is starting to talk (the words are only identifiable because I'm with him 24/7, but they're distinct sounds for set items like "ball", "hello" (not Hi), Mom (Mem), Dad...), and is on the go. He started to truly crawl on all fours but is still much faster with his "swim" so he usually sticks to that.
Taking after his oldest cousin, Hudson is a climber. Oh the things that boy can get up on. All the windows have the child safety latch pulled out so they can only go up an inch because he's figured out how to climb up chairs, shelves, you name it, to get to them. He has mad upper body strength and uses that to grab the towel rod in front of the sink, do a chin up until he can get his feet on to Henri's stool, and then get to the bathroom counter (and all the goodies left on it). He loves to eat anything as long as it's a bread product. I'm failing this child in the nutrition department, though he did scarf down a pear today. Greens, except in a smoothie, are nasty. He likes grass and clover though.  He's got six teeth now and I spotted a seventh lurking just below the surface. Thank goodness for our teething necklace!
He is soooo affectionate. He gives the biggest hugs to those he loves, and my favorite time with him is right after his afternoon nap when he just wants to squeeze your neck and give kisses. He thinks Henri is hilarious (he got hiccups today watching her brush her teeth) and she is fabulous with him. They've started to play together to the point where the other day they went in to Henri's room, shut the door, and kept each other entertained for 30 minutes until I got too nervous and went in to watch them...but even then they were happy and kind to each other. Not that they don't have their moments (Hen gets irritated and pushes him over, Hud tries to bite...) but for the most part Hen is more understanding of Hud than me. When he's being particularly challenging (ie screaming his head off for no reason) I'll ask Hen what he wants, and she usually knows. Her typical response is "he just needs love, mama" and she's usually right. This boy requires lots of loving on.

Check out the teeth and great hair. He's a looker ;)

Watching Dad's softball game

He loooves the park. He climbs up the slide ladder by himself then launches head first on his tummy down it. Over and over. I got quite a few condemning looks from other moms once they learned his age, but hey, keeps him happy and I don't think he can hurt himself. 

Deceiving photo. Henri loves the swings, Hudson takes after me and prefers off very quickly

Had to brag a bit on my cautious Hen; she's climbing to the top of the cargo net now! She initiated this on her own and is very proficient at it as long as I stay away and pretend not to see her attempting it. Once she sees me watching she acts like she can't and needs help, but if she's by herself you can see her plotting out her moves and executing it (she'll tell you that she's "strategizing". Thanks, Sesame Street!)

He has tons of toys. His favorite is the recycling (and it was laundry day, hence the pile of clothes. I don't usually leave that much of a mess around)

Pulling grass

Insists on feeding himself the pouches now

My peonies bloomed! Had to bring one inside it was so pretty and smelled so nice.
Can't believe I only have one more monthly check in and then Hudson will be ONE! I spent a lot of time picturing/imagining life with a toddler and a baby, somehow I forgot that soon there would be a preschooler and a toddler. We've definitely hit the fun stage with him :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always write the most fun posts. I am amazed at all Hudson can do! Although the evidence in your photos makes it so real! He seems quite advanced for his age. Henri sounds like a GREAT big sister. They are absolutely ADORABLE!!!! So happy we get to see peeks into your days with them.

Meredith said...

Thanks, Nikki! They're both pretty busy kids :)

JG said...

Great post! Love that his "favorite toy" is the recycling, and your usual dry humor. ;) You have beautiful children!