Thursday, May 8, 2014

As good as it gets

I was informed (yet again) in the grocery store this week that the current age of my children is the "most precious time" and something to be yearned after in the future. Not going to lie, I got in the car and cried. It gets so much worse you wish for these days back??? Not that all is horrible, or even really bad,  but the days do seem to be a continual slog of exhaustion punctuated with (frequent) spats of naughtiness all set to the background music of constant whining. Guess I better start cherishing it, though, if everything goes downhill from here. As usual, my review of what's on my phone shows all is not lost (I'll spare you the video I took of Hudson's typical lunch meltdown) and there are frequent bright spots. Here is a smattering:

Very spoiled baby. Yes, that's a pillow in the pack with him so he can nap more comfortably while we hike

We're blessed with an abundance of great parks very near us

Sister and cousin in town! We braved the T with the kids (not really being brave, it's one of Henri's favorite things to do, when she was a baby we'd just go for rides as a way to keep her occupied)

Hard to make out here, but it was super windy and the swan boat was capsizing with a full load. Some poor worker had to wade in and tow the whole thing back to the dock. The guy in the rowboat was just there for show, he did nothing useful.

The redheads of the family :)

Ogunquit trip, high tide so no beach

Perkins Cove, all the fishing boats were in

Given the extreme weather, most of our beach stay was in the car

On our way to the best burgers in Boston. Andrea was brave and got the King, I 'll def be getting it next time as it was almost better than the Hot Mess. 

Papa sent this picture for Henri on her birthday; all her VT friends celebrating :)

Getting in to the party spirit

Loving her new plasma car. 

Happy to be 3!

I'm surprised, but I'm having as much fun as her playing with the dollhouse

Still appalled that this was her meal; pizza from the place down the street and a generic store cake. Horrors. But she was very specific with what she wanted, and as we rarely have either, guess it can be considered a treat. 

Last week he started pulling to knees. He's got awesome upper body strength but still has no concept what the appendages on the bottom half of his body are for. I can't imagine he'll ever crawl (just this lightning fast swim thing he does), he's just going to skip to walking. 

Pit stop on the way to VT

First grass experience. He doesn't like grass, but he really doesn't like to stay on the blanket. So off he went!

Hen's been busy digging large holes in my garden

He's also not impressed with dandelions, lol

Cuddles on the blanket

...which turns to wrestling....

....which turns to sibling abuse. sigh.

And this week he learned to pull to stand. On everything. Holding on is a totally different story and his head is one mass of bruises and scrapes. I worry about his survival chances.

More grass

The coordinate! Totally unplanned

Hen's very in to "giraffe ears" as a hairdo. It keeps her hair out of her eyes and makes her happy :)

All these great birthday toys and the one getting the most use is an old Ikea bag that she keeps building nests in. She's very in to birds right now, and there's a robin's nest at the end of our driveway, so lots of role play. 
I have a whole bunch more of pretty much the same on the camera I'll have to pull off soon. We're headed to see the cousins and I know Henri is super excited to play. Last time it was really cold and they were stuck inside but we're expecting weather in the 80's (ugh!) so hopefully they can get outside to burn energy. I'll be sure to cherish each second of it ;)

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

This made me smile. I totally understand what you are saying. xoxoxo And cute photos as always!

JG said...

I just looooove your writing voice! And I also completely relate. Great pics of course... so much personality in your family! :) And it's always a relief to see another mom who doesn't Pinterest her kid's entire birthday. No offense to Pinterest. But it makes me feel bad. ;) Happy spring!!!