Friday, January 27, 2012

Week 2

Boring title, I know, but my mind is full of facts and statistics for all the exams I've been taking this week (3) and there's not much room for creativity. Fortunately, I had the camera out this week so there'll be a lot less talking and more viewing:

Saturday: It snowed. Not enough to be exciting, but enough to shut down the sidewalks to stroller traffic, so we pretty much just lazed around. H had full access to S so she was happy and I got to go for a walk by myself so that was thrilling.

Sunday: Church. Home for a quick nap for H. Homework. Off to friends to watch the Pats play and eat homemade pizza. Home to watch the second game. Homework.

Jumper from Aunt Patie =D



Monday: This was my "Thursday" day; H was up twice in the night and then for good at 0400. She was subsequently way overtired and in a rotten mood. Mine wasn't much better and the room kept spinning. I've been attempting to get to some kind of mom and baby group for, well, forever, but just haven't. So today, despite still wet sidewalks, I decided we would do story time at the library. I'd been assured by the "friendly" staff there that H was the perfect age for the group, so with hopes of meeting some moms and giving H a chance to socialize with folks her own size, we tramped over with H in the front carrier. Crazy warm out, I was in a fleece which I didn't need but I still bundled H up. She screamed and arched her back the whole way. Once there, no one was her age (all 2-3 years old) and all the adults were non-English speaking nannies who refused to look at me, much less return my smile or "hi". Grouched all the way home only to discover I *might* have given H frostbite on the cheek; it was pure white. Warmed it up (though it never felt cold), nursed her and she went down for a nap. Rest of the day a blur of whining, S home late, and me miserably failing my first exam.

Tuesday: Did not start auspiciously. I stepped on H's hand in the kitchen, she pulled the full garbage can over on her three times, and I was still sleep deprived. Also, we have a mouse. However, I had the car, so off to Market Basket we went. Detoured to Old Navy where I scored 3 cute new outfits/skirts/shirt/dress for H. While there we met another mom (actually, I met 3 moms and they were all so nice) from the west coast who had a baby girl born the same day as H. We chatted in line for quite some time, and I never thought to give her my name and number. Argh! The worst she could have done was refused to call, but it would have been lovely to meet up. Anyway, maybe I'll see her there again =D H was perfect in both stores, waved enthusiastically to everyone and "helped" carry whatever she could snag. Got home and went on a loooooong walk as the weather was beyond gorgeous. Made a pan of very gooey brownies with salted caramel on top and ate it with a spoon.
She actually does like the swing but was busy watching the big kids

 

On the slide
 Wednesday: The mouse ate the topping off my brownies. Which I didn't notice until I'd eaten a piece myself. Bold rascal. Continuing the salted caramel kick, I put some in my coffee. A.m.a.z.i.n.g. Took the train and walked to mom group at the doula house in Cambridge. H fell asleep just as we got there, so she melted down after 30 minutes. This time, all the kids way too young (6 weeks) so I guess we won't be back. H screamed all the way to Harvard then dropped asleep the minute the train doors shut. I record her screaming only to remind myself how judgemental in my mind I used to be toward parents who let their children melt down in public. Ha. Just try to keep it from happening/stop it. I've been humbled and come a long way in nine months. She took a fabulous evening nap, woke up just in time for dinner and church.
Homemade baked onion rings. Easy and addicting

Thursday: Laundry day! Four loads. H takes her resorting job very seriously and while I admire her work ethic, I wish she'd put it towards something actually helpful. Two so-so naps and then S got home on time (yay) and we had supper. H eats baby food (Happy Baby brand; delicious and organic) just fine except at supper when she sees what we're having and wants it. Last night was corn chowder so I out potato chunks on her tray and she went to town. S took H shopping and I took an exam (100%!) and got a bunch of studying done. When they got home, they'd bought 5lbs of potatoes. H was hilarious; she'd hook the grocery bag through her arm and then take off with it. I'm not sure what her thing is with potatoes, but she's loved the bag of them since she learned how to scoot. Also, it's so neat to see her figure out how to manipulate objects to do what she wants, and that she's starting to use tools. I know this is only interesting to the parent, but it gives me a lot of joy to watch her.
Examining the laundry basket
Talking to the tie
"what do you have, H?"
This face pretty much gets her whatever she wants

Friday: Huge racket coming down the street; a backhoe that has spent all morning tearing down the house next to us! H is only mildly interested and in fact is having no trouble napping through the noise. I have been glued to the window taking picts and videoing it for S. Makes you realize why houses look they way they do when tornadoes come through; houses are pretty flimsy! Currently making a meal for some folks and a bit extra for us (mashed potatoes, woohoo!) and studying. H is getting some 1:1 time with Mrs. M this afternoon so I can take yet another exam and get some more studying done. Then a forum project for the weekend and folks coming over and the week begins again.
Before
H more interested in her mitten than the house coming down
Sorta "after". The whole house is down now, but I ran out of memory
Hope you have a wonderful dry weekend!

No comments: