Monday, October 1, 2018

September

What a long month, and wow did it fly! School has begun and it's all consuming. If I'm not at school, I'm prepping lessons for school, or communicating with parents, or researching, or (very occasionally) helping my own kid with her school work. The transition has gone pretty well, I'm just getting my pride kicked down on a daily basis. The house is in shambles, I'm ashamed to admit how many meals have come from Chik fil A, and I'm doing 5 loads of laundry now at 1130pm on Sunday so we have something to wear in the morning. Everyone has been very patient with me as we figure out our new normal. I'm sure it will get better, but for now I'm definitely not "doing it all". We have fit in some really fun weekends and have a couple good ones coming up too, so as I can't show you my kids (and I have the best class ever; seriously, they're so much fun and such personalities), you'll have to put up with selfies:

Kitchen is getting so close to completion! Countertops are getting installed this week


First Day of Second Grade, Jr. K, and Teaching!

About to walk in and beyond nervous

He's loving it. Has a best friend and they're adorable...though a bit too chatty for class sometimes.


Defying all conventional wisdom, we packed our first weekend full. Started on Friday night with pizza in the stands as we cheered on Clemson soccer

And then Saturday morning Nate and Anna showed up and we ventured with Esme into the city so we could head to George's Island and explore Fort Warren

It was the perfect day for a ferry ride in the harbor

Unfortunately they've sealed off most of which used to be a very exciting exploration, but the cool echo chamber was still available.

And the windows to contemplate the vast ocean. There was also a sailboat race to watch.


We picnicked on the unstable sea wall

It's a great place to spend the day, but I'm glad I'm not stationed there. Must have been miserable in the winter!


Then we dropped the kids back at home with David and returned to Fenway for a Sox game

Huge thanks to Papa for getting us the tickets, we had great seats and it was by far the most fun I've ever had at a game


I think Nate enjoyed himself too :)

Next weekend we were going for a scooter ride but got distracted by a sign for a yard sale...

So then we bagged the walk and went for BBQ

How the car looked with the bench crammed in the back

I bought it for me, but she claimed the prime reading spot pretty quickly

It was International Talk Like a Pirate Day! Coincided with us learning the letter "A" as well, so I got stuff for the whole class to dress up


Henri got a turn when she came home.

And then it was reckoning time. I started off strong with sticking to the training schedule for 8 weeks. Then school started and I couldn't find the motivation to go running in the brutal heat after working 14 hours. So I had definitely deconditioned.

Under protest we got up at 4am to drive to RI

The sun didn't come up until right before we ran. Fortunately Meg and Nate graciously agreed to stay at our place and watch the kids so we didn't have to drag them down as well. 

But I finished! And under 3 hours, which had been my (very unambitious) goal. Steve did awesome at 1:46. 

We ended up with just 8 runners, but everyone finished....and all but two have already indicated plans to do another. Except I've really really enjoyed my celebratory week off from all exercise. 

The fast ones
He beat us all!
Pure relief that I never have to do that again. Or at least, until the next one.

It's officially fall and the weather has finally caught on!!!! Wool socks and Uggs :)

To ensure Nate wouldn't miss us too much, we met up with him again at Deerfield Fair this past Saturday. It was crazy busy!

Meghan was there too!

No camel rides, as I had been most eagerly anticipating, but there was an eight month old baby, so I got in lots of petting and coveting.

Henri loved the one room schoolhouse display and made the very kind and patient volunteer show her every.single.book on display and asked a zillion questions. Really need to get her to Shelburne Museum soon.

More camel love 
My cute leaf


The farrier made the kids a horseshoe


We watched the cattle judging

Had to check out the Deere's.

Look how little and fluffy he is!!! Super soft too.

Largest pumpkin every grown in North America right here. Pretty ugly, but maybe it tastes good? 

Another full week of work and school coming up, but there's a long weekend to look forward to, as well as getting back into running (ha), night out with friends, starting soccer lessons at church for the kids with our German intern, and parent teacher conferences. If the weather cooperates, I'm also supposed to be taking my class on a field trip. Hopefully some semblance of order will descend, and I might have a completed kitchen to show you next month!

No comments: