Friday, June 9, 2017

That's a wrap

And just like that, the school year is over. I was reviewing all of the reams of papers Henri has brought home over the past week and while the progress is impressive and obviously it took time to achieve, this really did fly by. We are looking forward to a laid back and moderately structured summer (being realistic, it'll never be unstructured because I need my schedules and I've already written up the monthly, weekly, and daily to-do lists...) although I just looked through all the workbooks sent home and realized that I'll be essentially homeschooling for the next 3 months (four from the teacher (math, spelling, language, letter sounds), plus keeping a reading log and journal). We'll be starting our She Reads Truth study in Romans on Monday, a week late but wanted to wait until school is finished. I got Henri the children's one and might copy a few of the pages for Hudson since they are not all reading/writing based and he hates to be excluded. It feels like the start to summer in truth with the weather we're having today, but unfortunately everyone except me is ill with that nasty cold that lingers. Henri really should have stayed home this week but she was adamant she had to go, and honestly we had so many obligations and timing was so precise it would have been a massive headache to keep her home.
So, about the past year, and Henri (since this blog is, ostensibly, for her...): Henrietta learned to read and the worst punishment I can give is to forbid her from reading at night in bed. Her current favorite series are Boxcar Children, Winnie the Pooh (we've started the poetry books), In Grandma's Attic, Little House on the Prairie. She reads a lot of Arnold Lobel and Mo Willems too. Her ability to memorize continues to be ridiculous and last night at the closing ceremonies recited 26 verses to correspond with the alphabet. Her absolute best friend is AJ (not sure he feels the same, but also not sure he has any say in the matter. All teachers and parents have informed me that Henri has their future planned in exhaustive detail and he seems on board), Sam, Isabella, and Dylan. She says her favorite subject is art, but I hear most about Lexia and Science. Her teacher, Mrs. Garcia, has been a great fit for her and has encouraged my perfectionist to just try with the expectation of not being perfect, and that it'll be ok. Next year will of course be different and while we're both a little apprehensive about the change (she is her mother's daughter in some respects), I have heard nothing but glowing reports about her next teacher. Until then, I'm going to enjoy having her all to myself.
There's a few inches in height gained, and a ton of knowledge, between these two pictures!


The kids' end of school year gift was new hiking packs since I plan to have us out exploring a lot this summer. 

He knows he's not allowed to blow the whistle except in emergencies but he loves to pretend he's about to

She was so proud of this award, and I agree it fits her well

The amazing Mrs. Garcia

Last day of Kindergarten

My peonies are blooming! Had to bring one in.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

I think you'd be an awesome homeschooling family. :) Just saying! :)