Saturday, December 26, 2015

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It's still pretty tropical out there, but Christmas has come and gone. The kids are at the perfect age where they didn't want anything specifically (Henri was hoping for a present, but didn't care what it was), and were thrilled with the magic of it all. Also, Hen somehow interpreted my "no one looks at the tree until everyone is up together" as "we can't make a peep until Mom gets us up" so total win for me, we got to sleep in until 7! Well, they slept. I was awake at 3 too excited. We had stockings and the now traditional cinnamon rolls/sticky buns and went for a long walk and then presents. And then Sue and David came over for even more gifts and we Skyped with family and had the Thompson meal of lasagna. Long story of how that came about, but I wasn't planning on cooking a meal. Eh, things happen. And then games and recovery and we headed to join a family from church who spend their holiday at a hotel (so the mom gets a break from cooking and cleaning, haha) and we stuffed ourselves silly and played games.
It's been a low-key day around here, the guys went to the park to play baseball, Henri has been sewing everything she can get her hands on, and I'm putting the house to rights. Hen wants to take down the tree and I'm tempted, but we'll keep it up a few more days.

Hudson has mastered the scissors

Steve practicing his braiding skills on Henri

I always think of her as a big kid until I look up and she's dwarfed by Steve...and his bike tires.

Ok, the crafting is getting a bit out of control around here.

Like, really really really!!!! out of control. Everything is a project, and everything is meant to replace some perfectly functioning item in my house (like my rugs.....I paid good money for those, I'd rather not swap them out for cut up and taped together Amazon mailers!)

My attempts at starting some Solstice traditions were met with skepticism. 

So I just lit the candles, turned off the overheads, and contemplated the return of light and the eventual return of the ultimate Light. Next year I'll get my bonfire and chanting :) 

Playdate....and more crafting

I actually completed a project!Not my proudest achievement in my "making" history, but these were fairly fun to do. 

But I never got around to sewing all the reusable gift bags like I intended. So I just wrapped Henri's gifts in cloth and told her she could keep it (which has turned out to be her favorite part).

Made a chocolate cake for a lady and put some fancy finishes on it. Obviously "pastry chef" is not in my future.  

Little guy woke up from a much needed nap to discover that both Dad and Henri had left for fun things. He was totally lost without his partner in crime. September is going to be very rough for him :/ He perked up after a long walk where he got to chose all the turns. 

All ready for the morning...(stockings made by my mom. you can see by the size who she prefers haha)

Hmmm, I wonder what the big gift is?



I'm sure you all have them, but stumbled on the Water Wow! by Melissa and Doug, and So Much Fun! Seriously, the adults keep wheedling the kids to let them have a turn. I don't know how they'll hold up, but so far they've been colored a few dozen times each and are working fine. 

Two big wheeled tractors

Papa knows my kids well and sent them a pirate ship

The love of cordless drills starts early. Hopefully this one is durable, it's been in constant use since he opened it. Very grateful that the noise it produces is low pitched and moderate volume (I researched that more than any other feature).


Along with her dolls I cobbled together a "sewing kit" for Hen; balls of fun colored yarn, lots of those plastic grid sheet thingies to embroider on, and steel needles. Which are dull, but she has proved that with enough force you can sew anything. And she has. All day yesterday, all day today. 

Sue looking all festive

If anyone's really bored, David taped the morning *yawn*

Sheffie continues in his quest to make my poor son 1.look ridiculous 2.get beat up for wrong affiliations

David's contribution to the meal was his now-famous chocolate chip cookies. The man understands the perfect crunch/gooey ratio and nailed it on these.

Found out that her scissors are sharp enough to cut cloth too....

His first bike. It's perfectly his size, so hoping we can get him riding soon. They can't stay on the back of ours for forever!

Bear slippers are the perfect accessory when doing the dishes. Also, I got this stool so the kids could reach the counter for baking and because it folds up. It's Hudson's favorite item, and allows for unfathomable naughtiness. Basically nothing is out of reach anymore. Dumb purchase. 

And yet more sewing. Fabric and paper scraps have taken over my house.
Though it's always sad for the build up of Christmas to be over, there remains much to look forward to. My birthday! New Years Eve! New books to read! Snow someday! Hope you all had a wonderful celebration and are recovering from your food comas.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Ha! Your dumb purchase totally made me laugh. :) I laughed so hard Laura laughed. :) Maybe it sounded too close to OUR house. Anyway, it is no wonder that your Henri has such creative talents. It runs in your family. :) Too bad it did not rub off on me. I somehow missed out on any creative juices. I do enjoy seeing what you come up with though. Looked like fun was had by all.