Friday, October 23, 2015

Peak fall

I think we just had our last warm week before the cold really settles in. Considering it's the end of October and that today was the first I made the kids wear winter coats on our walk, that's a lot of heat! Most of the maple trees are peaking right now. Unfortunately it rained a lot this week so the colors are more yellow, but around the ponds it is gorgeous.
We haven't done a whole lot. My cold continues so playgroup was cancelled on Tuesday. We've been out for the library and a Target run (where I forgot the one thing I'd gone for and came out with 15 other things....), and on Wednesday Steve had his birthday. The kids did a great job of keeping his gifts a surprise, and Hudson was so excited about everything. The boy loves birthdays, he doesn't care whose. Steve got his baked potatoes, and I made him the requested pecan pie (although the crust was horribly tough. Sorry, Babe). The kids don't like nuts so I also made carrot cake as cupcakes that they decorated licked all the frosting off of and put sprinkles on. We have a fairly unscheduled weekend coming up, might try out a new path through some woods and look at the colors :)

I was looking for an appropriate sentiment for a "get well" card and stumbled on this jewel. I re-read it every time I need a laugh. Would you feel better if you received this in a card??

After our first frost we dug the potatoes!!! And it was pretty disappointing. But still fun. Maybe we'll plant a bigger patch next year.

Spraying the spiders for me. Guys, listen: Best thing ever!!! Spray bottles. $1 each. Fill then with warm water, establish the ground rules of not spraying each other or strangers cars, and voila! hours and hours and hours you don't have to parent. I took them away the past two days because Hudson has a open sore on his finger from using them so much and I was worried how much deeper it'd get. 

Boxelder beetles. Millions of them in all developmental stages. More dispersed here, but earlier in the week the entire curb was red. They've been lots of fun to watch. No idea why they chose this particular spot to hang out, or what they're waiting for, but they've been here all week. 


The potato haul

Never fails that when there is a decent sale, Hudson's behavior is anything but decent. At this point he was being quiet so I just let him lay (after taking a pict to show all those people who think he's just the sweetest thing ever and that I exaggerate his moods)

The spray bottles going for a(nother) walk. 

Leaf crowns!

They're a bit hick/corn husk hat but so much fun to make

Very overexposed picture of the birthday goodies

Our take on fall decorating. Rotting pumpkins and a new door mat. 

Hudson found and was allowed to purchase a little digger truck at the thrift store. As soon as we got home he grabbed a person from the dollhouse to put in, and the three have been inseparable since.

A bit more cowboy than I'd been planning (also, these are olive green in real life) but they appealed at Target. Long story (about the mess the shoe dept shelves were in and how they weren't in the system) short, the manager gave them to me for $8. Suddenly they're very very appealing :)

Henri has taken to dressing Hudson in the morning. As he doesn't object (though he likes to be a pill when she's changing his diaper so sometimes I have to wrangle him for her) I certainly have no problem with it. Bossy big sisters for the win!

More crown making

Cooperative subjects



No comments: