Saturday, April 27, 2013

Catch up

Sorry about the lack of photos; I'll upload some for the next post when we celebrate H turning 2 (wow!). In the meantime, for catch up:

2 weeks ago we ended up at MGH's ER. H was no longer as trusting of nurse and doctor's intentions, but she was still great. Everyone was suitably impressed with her arm (surgeon even took a picture on his personal phone, haha) and there was no question that we'd be admitted. By 6:30 Sunday night she'd had her surgery (to drain the golf ball sized accumulation of puss) and her IV antibiotics started. Sadly the ID doctor put H on precautions which meant she couldn't leave her room to play, but it did mean we had a private room for the stay so Steve could sleep over with us. H could have all the toys brought to her, and as her IV ended up in her foot she stayed in bed for almost 3 days straight and played with pretend food. She didn't complain once about the confinement, and with the bombings the timing of us being there worked out great (all surgeons were tied up on Tuesday with amputations). We came home on Tuesday and H has steadily improved. The arm is still draining but that's good, and her abx have finished. Turns out it wasn't Cat Scratch but plain old staff infection. Will be really happy to have this completely over with!

Clinicals are a mess. I'm done with my site officially this week, but I still need 13 births. And a bunch of other visit types. The Georgia site fell through, so I'm down to no options at this point. I'd love to just quit as the more I do this the more I realize I'm not a huge fan of the birth experience but more the gyn side of things, but after almost 3 years and a fortune I think I should see it through. I am thankful I don't have to make the decision to leave my baby for 3 weeks, though. She's been super clingy since her surgery and for the first time drop-offs and her days at daycare have not been going well. She's also terrified to go to bed and worries that she won't wake up in the morning; while she doesn't remember us not being with her during surgery, I don't know what she dreamt about on the drugs. So if I had my druthers we'd just hunker down here at home and not leave.

We've gotten to see a lot of my family these past two weeks. Last Friday we were on lock down because of the manhunt, so we skipped off to VT for an overnight stay. And then this weekend my folks and Anna came down, and Allie and Meghan joined us for a full house. H was blissed out on all the attention of some of her favorite people and is going to be very sad tomorrow when she wakes up to just us. We figured it took 5 days to get her out, so we're going to celebrate her birthday for 5 days. So far she's had apple pie, an ice cream cone, pizza, tons of tomatoes, trips to the park, lots of outside time, and pretty much whatever she wants. I think we'll do sushi on Monday, and maybe just a half day at school. You'll notice we celebrate with food, but it's an easy way to make her happy and prevents the accumulation of stuff. So far she's gotten some great gifts from her aunts (adorable outfits, books and new cooking dishes) and my parents got her a water table which got a practice run today to rave reviews.

I'll get up this weekend photos soon so you can see how cute H is getting....if I can bring myself to come inside, that is. We're expecting sunny weather in the high 60's/70's through the week and I intend to soak it up as much as possible :)

3 comments:

Ruth said...

SO glad H's medical issues are resolving!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear about all the headaches, including the Boston trauma. Best!

Diane Monaghan said...

Happy 2nd Birthday to my favorite little lady! Sorry she has had to go thru all of this, but I think you are using her as an excuse to have treats meredith! LOL Ice cream, Pizza sounds more like your kind of treats!:) Why don't you come pack here perdiem and work with us?
Diane

Nikki R said...

So glad that you updated us all on Henri. We were hearing bits and pieces but it was a little confusing. Glad to hear everything from you.
I was praying for you all during all the Boston happenings.Glad that you were all safe. Have you had many babies born lately? I think being a midwife would be a fun job although, I would not want the responsibility.I have no idea where you find the energy to do all that you do. I am impressed!