Saturday, September 15, 2012

Unpacking

The house has been livable since we moved in back in May. However, the kitchen was the only room that had been unpacked exactly as I intended to use it (and that's because Allie came over and helped the week before). All of the rooms have since had something done to them to improve efficiency and each has a master plan in place but nothing's going to happen overnight. Anyway, H's room has been completely neglected. I debated even giving her the room and instead dividing ours with a wardrobe system, but ultimately she made the move to independence (and has slept through the night since day 3). So it's been the dump-and-slam room (you know, where you toss something in then slam the door so nothing tumbles out). However, I have 4 huge tests to get done in the next three weeks as well as 45+ hours of studying for clinicals on Oct 17th, so the rearranging bug hit....like it always does. I took advantage of some clearance items at Target, decided to go a bit more pink and frilly white than I'd originally intended, and did some major purging. I still need to get material to make curtains to surround the loft bed because for now we'll just chuck storage stuff under there, I need to recover the bench cushions with the same fabric, white lace curtains need to be hung, and the guest bed needs a new duvet cover, and more art work needs to get hung, but it already looks more like a functional little girl's room. Also, in the process of unpacking the rest of H's books and toys, I was stunned to realize how many books this child already owns. I thought we'd have tons of storage space but really, there's one cubby left free. Wow. Guess the blank wall I'd been contemplating might become a bookshelf. What a great problem to have!
Also in the weeks happenings:
-Lots and lots of listening to lectures and reading
-The discovery that H sprouted 3 molars without either S or I noticing or medicating for, ouch.  (Parent of the Year award can be sent to our address, available upon request).
-Bike ride (H freaks whenever she thinks she might get to go on a ride. "Obsession" doesn't come close)
-Successful trip to Sister Thrift and Old Navy....for H, of course
-Meeting Wesley Carlisle for the first time. He is beautiful, calm (he was sleeping, lol), makes little squeaks while he sleeps (forgot about how noisy newborns are), has a great hairdo going on, snuggles gloriously, makes hysterical faces when you kiss his cheek, and I wanted very much to take him home with me. His mom wasn't in a sharing mood :) (and mom looked fabulous. one would never know she'd just had a baby. seriously)
-Being very very very proud of my brother who just finished his last training for the special forces and is set to graduate this coming week. He's overcome a ton of physical issues as well as just life and I'm so impressed by him. Hope he (responsibly) whoops it up this weekend :)

You can see the need for the bed curtain

Kid-stuff storage! Any ideas on how to hide ugly router cords?

Some of H's shopping-spree haul. 2 super cute hats in the mix.

New fall hat

The love for Little Blue Truck continues

She was very into the sidewalk chalk this time


A few of my pickling cuks

Working on her cursive

Love toddlers in hoodies

Demonstrating where her ears are

"eyes". This week she learned "elbow". Hearing her pronounce two and three syllable words just floors me.
Lots of goings-on this coming week so hopefully I'll have nothing but pictures for you :)

1 comment:

JG said...

Cuuuuute pics! I LOVE the storage system that you have for Henri! It looks so tidy and sweet. I actually just saw a fun idea in a magazine recently for wires... you turn them into a fun design on the wall and staple them there. It's a little too modern for me, personally, but there's an idea for you! And thank you for your reassurring comment on my blog about Sophia's "working a lot" comment. Hopefully I'm being a good role model and not a negligent mother. "Working mom" is a total catch-22... a lots of days it feels more like a lose-lose than a win-win. Ugh. AND... this may come in handy for you some day soon!... when Sophia asks for a word to be defined we go to the dictionary. This is always fun because we often have to look up words in the definition, so it turns into a long foray into the English language. She loves it, and it rescues us from awkward moments trying to explain intangible concepts like "thing!" :)